Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:39:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
BRITISH COLUMBIA CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CLUB
18488 Posts in 374 Topics by 476 Members
Latest Member: tkoven
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+ 
|-+  Questions and Answers , Tech Tips/Repairs Section
| |-+  Members asking questions or showing what they have learned , not to mention bragging about what they know !
| | |-+  Need ideas from the hivemind re: antenna stub extraction
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need ideas from the hivemind re: antenna stub extraction  (Read 275 times)
Bucko
1000 Class

« on: June 21, 2023, 12:45:48 PM »

The upper section of the AM/FM/CB antenna broke off on my Voyager right at the 'centre load'.  I think I've found a replacement upper section, but I'm having difficulty extracting the broken off antenna stub from the centre load.  I think it's probably too small to drill.  It's stainless steel, so I'm not sure welding something to the stub is an option.  I've tried heat several times (not too much, as the inside of the centre load is plastic) to loosen things up, without success.  The aluminum part of the centre load seems to be cemented to the inside, so I can't push the stub out from the inside.

Anybody here have any suggestions?

PS: there is a set screw on the side of that aluminum collar (not shown) that locks the upper section of the antenna to the centre load, and I've tried pushing out the stub through that hole but no luck.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 12:49:12 PM by Bucko » Logged
Hawkeye
1000 Class

If you can't get one, make one.

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 08:24:49 PM »

Is the body of the antenna at the stub aluminum? If there isn't much ferrous metal inside, other than the stub, you might be able to dissolve the stub with alum. Plenty of videos on line dealing with that.

If it was mine, I'd likely take a steel bar about 1/4" thick and drill a hole in it just smaller than the stub, then carefully centre the hole over the stub and weld it with flux-core. Steel flux-core will weld stainless, at least some grades. That might give you a T-handle to spin the stub out. You might want to drill part-way through (from the top) with a bigger bit to make it easier to weld onto the stub.

Mike

Past: '77 Honda 400 Four Super Sport
        '79 Honda 750K
        Honda CT70
        '78 XS400
        '81 Honda GL1100 (Collector Plate) (x2)
Present: '66 Honda CT200 Trail 90
             '77 Honda 750 Four K
             '83 Honda GL1100 (Collector Plate)
             '83 Honda 750 Shadow (Collector Plate)
Future: '77 Honda 400 Four Super Sport
Bucko