Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 02, 2024, 08:55:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
BRITISH COLUMBIA CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CLUB
18517 Posts in 375 Topics by 476 Members
Latest Member: tkoven
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+ 
|-+  Greater Vancouver Area
| |-+  Welcome Vancouver to BCCMC
| | |-+  Where Shall we Meet for Coffee on Sunday?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 320 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where Shall we Meet for Coffee on Sunday?  (Read 651174 times)
mervin

Someone said they were cheap and easy to work on?

« Reply #630 on: November 03, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »

That is a beautiful Harley. I love those big old buddy sets

Previous bikes : 1964 Honda 90 c200, Honda CB160 1966,Honda Z50 1973, Honda 500 /4 1974, Canam 250 Qualifier 1977,Suzuki GS 750 (1977), Suzuki GS 1100ET 1980, Yamaha 650 Special 1981, Honda VTR1000, Kh 400 1976, Kawasaki H1D, yamaha DT125.  Some other short termers and track bikes
Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #631 on: November 04, 2013, 07:54:52 PM »

Gerry,    I am afraid the closest thing I have ridden to that thing is a Road King.  Have ridden a few Harleys during our Hawaiin vacations including some I could hardly hold up in the wind at a stoplight with my long skinny legs.   I find Harleys are a good exercise for me and at the end of the day I end up with new muscles in my arms, wrists, shoulders and sore knees.  I would guess that the one from the museum would have its own personality and may require a bit more adjusting and tweaking on each ride so may take quite a bit more skill to keep on the road.
I have one question for you that I could probably just google;   what is Hydra Glide?    I am guessing it makes the bike feel like it is riding on water but not sure whats in the name?

John
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #632 on: November 04, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »

Hydra glide Is the fork that was introduced on the big twin H-D models in 1949.
Later in 58 they introduced rear shocks on the big twins, and they became Duo-Glides.
In 65 they introduced electric start on the big twins and hey became Electra Glides.

Feel free to discuss anything I post on here, its an open forum, and I welcome comments and discussion.. I am not the kid who parades his Bat & Ball at the ballpark, but wont let anyone else play with it..
..VaaV....
Doctor Virago
« Reply #633 on: November 04, 2013, 10:14:54 PM »

. . .   what is Hydra Glide?   . . .

I was going to say SURFING . . . ha ha

Tired Iron
« Reply #634 on: November 04, 2013, 10:27:49 PM »

..that bout sums it up. Thanks Frank.

The introduction of the "hydraulic" front end meant "Hyrda" Glide, the transition from "rigid"  frame to "swingarm" and shock absorbers ( that really only worked "visually" on early HD's ) transformed the model to the "Duo" Glide, keeping in mind that the front end was also "Glide" as in physically HUGE, with the forks wide enough apart to accommodate an appropriate fender.     

You have riddin Harley's Johny, but I don't suspect that you've ever riddin a real one.       ...pre 1985.

You write about adjusting and tweaking, however you really don't know until you ride a motorcycle as to if it "fits" or not. Kirt, the Pan Man, is quite the rider, and as such, rides his "Duo-Glide" as assertively ( or aggressively ) as he chooses. He is a blast to ride with, as is Doctor Virago, and I reckon that the both of us olde Harley riders, probly wear out the outsides of our running boards near as frequently as our tires.   ...the Doc wears out the heels of his boots.     ...no kidding.

If you aint got skill for ridin, luckily, it can be acquired, and practiced, with friend, and/or cuzzin accompaniment.   

The invitation stands.

....cuzzin Gerry.
Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #635 on: November 04, 2013, 10:34:45 PM »

Thanks Frank.

Makes sense and now they have the Ultra Glide so just a simple progression along the way in engineering and identification.

Makes me ask another question,  is there someone that builds a crankshaft for those things that will make them fire properly and ease on the busted bearings, rods and bottom end stuff? I heard the Germans had a solution to make those motors run a bit more balanced and have longevity  so it would be a marketing bonanza for the buyers.
They would also be smoother to ride one would think.

Problem is the bikes might not end up back in the shops so that's not good for the dealer.

John
Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:21 PM »

Cuzzin,

I am hoping to get up in your neck of the woods next year when the weather improves and it would make my day to swap bikes with you.  Would like to take up your offer and break some bread or share a pie.  Ran out of time this year for June and I to hit the Kootenays but we will make sure to check in with you and share some notes next time we swing by.
Thanks John
Tired Iron
« Reply #637 on: November 04, 2013, 11:06:15 PM »

....hmmmm..

..."swappin" don't appeal to me Johnny.

..maybe in my drinkin days..

I look forward to June and Yourself visiting with your Kootenay family in the new year.

Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #638 on: November 05, 2013, 12:52:16 AM »

Look forward to it and will keep you posted,  June picked up a dozen California maps this afternoon and is telling me about all of the vacation deals south of the free world on the internet that we can fly to for almost free so guess we will be hanging up the bikes for a while and helping her out with her new hobby unless I can I can ease her back out of retirement.  Kootenays are on my agenda as I have not been there for awhile and have some fond memories that need restoring in that neck of the woods.

John
Tired Iron
« Reply #639 on: November 05, 2013, 07:52:48 AM »

..verry cool Mr. Wheels.

When you begin to plan your adventure out this way, give me as much notice as you can ( or are brave enough to ) and I will coordinate my days off with your time out here.
   There are some really great roads, really great people, some really great places to break bread, and some pretty bodacious places to stay at out here as well John.     ...if old school actually means anything to you other than just a term to occasionally throw out there..

If you'd be hip to it, perhaps we could plan an overnighter together at one of our fave hotsprings during your visitation. My girl and I have one in particular that we frequent at every opportunity.   ...hey, maybe the good Doctor will join us ?   ...and maybe the Pan Man will be riding out to visit his folks around that time ?    ...Aaron might be happy with how his Norton is tuned..   ...hell maybe even Mr. 754 will be riding his 750 four ?...      ...Henry might need a break from the big city too and ride his steed over and leave an oil stain that I'll get the blame for..   ...and maybe Peg will be present to be charming and colourful and take the pressure off of the rest of us..    ...and what about the Quaker Oats lookin guy ?...    ...and Ken ?..   ...maybe he'll ride his Dragon bike..

....it could happen...

...oh the possibilities...

...maybe it will become a "Classic" vacation destination for 2014 ?..

..hey, while you two are out here, do you wanna stay in a tent, a bus, or a cabin ?

...you know the journey is much more memorable when you come home with dirt in your ears..

PM me whenever yont Wheels, and I will give you my cell phone number and we can start texting ridiculous notes and making plans..

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:37:29 AM by Tired Iron » Logged
mervin

« Reply #640 on: November 05, 2013, 09:06:39 AM »

Good simple description of the "glides" Gerry. There is one Glide not mentioned from the short history lesson Gerry gave ( I am referring to pre EVO motor "Glides) that is the Super Glides, these are what I was most personally familiar with. That was the 74 cu in (1200cc) engine in a sportster style frame with a step seat and a one piece tank, the first few years had a tailpiece behind the seat instead of a rear fender. The first ones were FX model designation, and were originally called the "night train", introduced as I recall in 71 or 72. Willie G Davidson came up with the idea , the front end was the wide front off the duo glide. The bike was very similar to other bikes to ride where as the Classic full size Harleys were a very different bike (as Gerry mentioned) to ride.
 The significance of the super glide was that it was Willie G's first stab at changing the Harley look, first step into a factory "custom", and was the start of all the overwhelming number of models that had all those letters for model designations. The first couple years with the "boat tail" rear end did not go over well and sales were low, and the 1976 "American Bicentennial " had a painted tank that almost looked like a comic strip. They changed the rear end, added electric start, and came out with the Wide Glide in the 70's and sales just skyrocketed.
 The early to mid 70's Superglides really were Willie G's brainchild and made Harley into a contender in the sales numbers. They were a Harley that us young guys (young at that time) could really identify with.
 How ever the real Classic Harley look is the Hydra, Duo, Electra Glides like Gerry's bike. They are the classic "American" motorcycle. The Superglide was a concept that the Japanese manufacturers jumped on board with and called them specials ,cruisers and a hundred other names but Willie G started that trend with the Super Glides. This is my recollection and I stand to be corrected.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:11:35 AM by mervin » Logged

Previous bikes : 1964 Honda 90 c200, Honda CB160 1966,Honda Z50 1973, Honda 500 /4 1974, Canam 250 Qualifier 1977,Suzuki GS 750 (1977), Suzuki GS 1100ET 1980, Yamaha 650 Special 1981, Honda VTR1000, Kh 400 1976, Kawasaki H1D, yamaha DT125.  Some other short termers and track bikes
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #641 on: November 05, 2013, 09:12:18 AM »

Wide glide was not used on Superglide, they used Sportster fork ,then Kayabasingle disc, then dualdisc Showa fork.
 We also missed Dyna Glide ,and. Cow Glide, there is probably more we missed.

Feel free to discuss anything I post on here, its an open forum, and I welcome comments and discussion.. I am not the kid who parades his Bat & Ball at the ballpark, but wont let anyone else play with it..
..VaaV....
Tired Iron
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

...sheesh, thanks Merv.

I am embarrassed...

My "first" Harley was a 76 Superglide.

...I often referred to it as a "Stupidglide", and changed pretty much everything about it in the time that I had it.

....unconscious block in my mind or sumthin..

....I don't remember a whole lot of that time in my life...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 05:47:19 PM by Tired Iron » Logged
mervin

« Reply #643 on: November 05, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »

The amazing thing is that I  remember any thing from that time period. I really thought a Night Train would be my first Harley, but I rode a lot of my friends "superglides" and just didn't fall in love. I came so close to buying the Bicentennial edition in "76" but dad convinced my to buy a bunch of range cattle instead (I was on the farm then) and that was a wise choice , or on the years I made money off them it was. And the cows did have a leather seat, and horns, and they made gas rather than burning it so I got the cows instead. Who knows how things go.

mervin

« Reply #644 on: November 05, 2013, 09:47:04 AM »

Wide glide was not used on Superglide, they used Sportster fork ,then Kayabasingle disc, then dualdisc Showa fork.
 We also missed Dyna Glide ,and. Cow Glide, there is probably more we missed.
The wide glide was pre EVO though, I think, and I was really referring to the FX and FXE with out getting into all the models and variations after the FXE. I remember friends getting the Wide Glides and the Fat bobs but the FX and FXE were the start of that whole style and the factory custom trend. The interesting thing is that the custom bike builders were really annoyed at Harley for doing that and taking away their business (for a short time until guys like Gerry realized they still wanted to customize the superglides) .

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 320 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: