Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 07:22:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
BRITISH COLUMBIA CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CLUB
18738 Posts in 388 Topics by 476 Members
Latest Member: tkoven
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+ 
|-+  BC Club forum boards
| |-+  General Chat and Ideas
| | |-+  Chain Maint.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chain Maint.  (Read 34 times)
rz5mark
1000 Class

« on: May 31, 2024, 08:07:52 PM »

I stopped lubing my o-ring chains on streetbikes about 6 years a go. I clean them really well with wd40, wipe them down and go. I figure the orings are packed with grease and I haven't noticed extra wear or needed chain adjustments. Anyone else do this ?
Jefft

« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:55:35 AM »

You’re on the right track.

I stopped lubing o-ring chains about 30 years ago on the advice of motorcycle a chain rep and it made a huge difference in chain longevity. As per their packaging they recommended wiping the chain with gear oil. The gear oil was only intended to prevent surface rust. Sticky chain lube just attracts dirt and creates a grinding paste that will kill the chain. The key is keeping it clean (very clean) which I do by wiping the chain down with a clean rag and copious amounts of WD40. If you start with a really clean chain it’s not hard to keep it clean. Easy to pack a small can of WD40 and a few shop rags for trips. I have Triumph Speed Triple with 40,000km on the original chain and it has never seen a can of chain lube.
For non oring chains I flood a clean chain with chain wax, wait a several hours then wipe the chain clean.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: