Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 06:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
BRITISH COLUMBIA CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CLUB
18631 Posts in 384 Topics by 476 Members
Latest Member: tkoven
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+ 
|-+  BC Club forum boards
| |-+  General Chat and Ideas
| | |-+  We're getting the hell out!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: We're getting the hell out!  (Read 2460 times)
Twisted_Twin
BCCMC Star (5K)

15/16ths of the world uses the metric system.

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2022, 02:39:45 PM »

30 acres is rented to the neighbors who grow wheat or canola.
The remaining 14 will be hay and pasture with a few acres reserved for veg. If I need more space it's easy to scale up.

We're looking at running a market garden business so a 1 acre plot for intensive growing will be plenty to manage.

There's a few farmers markets close by that we are planning to be a part of as well.

It's important to feel comfortable in your own skin because it's illegal to wear someone else's.
Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »

Looks like you beat June and I on the move out of here.
Can you see the Rockies from there to use as a compass?
kaw74
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2022, 01:31:30 PM »

Where is your farm located?
Twisted_Twin
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2022, 04:47:10 PM »

Where is your farm located?

I posted a google map link on page 1

It's important to feel comfortable in your own skin because it's illegal to wear someone else's.
Justbike

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2022, 06:47:09 PM »

TT GREAT move ! I wish I could get out of the LM but I have three kids that are going to keep me here way too long. Fingers crossed I will get out one day! If I ever find my way out there I’ll stop in for a beer or two! Cheers and all the best!,
Hawkeye
1000 Class

If you can't get one, make one.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2022, 08:18:28 PM »

I remember topping a 'hill' in Saskatchewan, looking west, on a day that was clear enough to actually see the Rockies. Guess I could have taken a picture, but I don't think my best telephoto lens would have shown anything.

Mike

Past: '77 Honda 400 Four Super Sport
        '79 Honda 750K
        Honda CT70
        '78 XS400
        '81 Honda GL1100 (Collector Plate) (x2)
Present: '66 Honda CT200 Trail 90
             '77 Honda 750 Four K
             '83 Honda GL1100 (Collector Plate)
             '83 Honda 750 Shadow (Collector Plate)
Future: '77 Honda 400 Four Super Sport
Twisted_Twin
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 08:22:30 PM »

At Sunday coffee, folks were requesting and update.

I've been posting on our Instagram and Facebook but not here, sorry about that.

It's been a hell of a week, here's a cut and paste from another forum I post on. I'll be sure to update more here as well:

We made it.

This was our last drive back and the whole week has been crazy

We spent last week packing the last of our stuff. Then, on Friday I got a call from my dad that he had a bad fall and was waiting for the ambulance to take him to the hospital.

Turns out he shattered his hip so they got him into surgery and did a full replacement.

I went to visit him the day after but he was heavily sedated and not able to understand what was going on.

On Sunday my wife and I visited him in the hospital and he was feeling better. Planning to be home in a few days.

Monday morning we set off on our trip with both trucks. Got to the top of the snowshed hill on the Coquihalla and Jenn radios that there is smoke coming out of the steering column area.

The hydroboost in the Suburban has been weeping a bit and looked like it was dripping on the headers and the smoke was coming up through the column boot. No big deal.

We pull into Merritt and the tach, speedo and PRNDL have quit working. Check the fuses and one is burnt. Swap it out, turn the truck on and it pops again. Oh well, guess I know what the smoke was. Her GPS has a speedo so no worries,  just carry on.

I'm behind her pulling the big hill out of town and I start smelling coolant so I radio for her to pull in to the chain up area that's coming up. Pop the hood and she's blown a heater hose.

Call my friend at the parts store in Merritt, they don't have any of the GM push to connect hoses in stock. Get out my tools, pull the hose and the fitting from the manifold, drop my trailer and take my truck to the parts store.

Bought coolant, an old style GM heater hose fitting and some heater hose. Drive back, screw the truck back together and carry on.

We arrived at a friend's house around 5pm. Only lost an hour.

We unload the horses, tie the mini under a tree to eat some grass and put the other two into a portable pen, then my friend and I drive in to town to get dinner and leave Jenn with the horses.

We get to town, Subway closed early so I call my wife to see what she wants instead. She answers the phone and all I hear is "getyourassbackherethehorsesareloose!". Get in the truck and race back.

Our big guy decided to have a roll in the grass, caught his hoof under the portable pen and flipped it over, freeing both of them to run 1/4 mile to the neighbors and visit their horses.

Got our horses back, penned up, ate dinner and went to bed.

Woke up at 5am to a phone call from the hospital, my dad passed away last night. His heart stopped some time in the night and there was nothing they could do. My mom was a nurse for years and I know that seniors frequently have problems after a big fall so it was something I had been thinking about. I thanked the doctor and explained what was going on. We loaded up and got going to our next stop 10 hours away.

We stopped to fuel up outside of Hinton and discovered that the Suburban now had no reverse gear. Crap. Oh well, still has 1,2,3,4 so as long as we don't have to back up, we'll be OK.

We start talking about it and the next place we stop is going to be tight and I probably can't turn the truck around on their property without reverse so we would have to park on the highway,  unload and walk the horses in.

Since it would only be another 5 hours to the farm, we decided to skip the stop and go for a marathon driving session.

Then my truck starts rattling.

I'm really heavy this time and it's been working hard and putting out a lot of heat. After some careful observation I figure out that the rattle is the start of a hydraulic lifter going bad.

It only rattles when I'm pushing it hard and getting a lot of heat into it. The oil is thin because I haven't changed it since we started this process and it's been well over 10,000km. If I back off to 90kmh and vary the rpm a little as I drive, I can keep the lifter pumped up.

With gas stops, pee breaks and stops to feed and water the horses, we rolled into the farm 19 hours later.

I've had enough adventure for a little while.

Anyone want to buy a gently used 3/4 ton Suburban?

Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2022, 10:40:38 AM »

Instagram, Facebook??  Please explain
Wheels
1000 Class

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2022, 10:45:02 AM »

On a more serious note condolences to your family on the passing of your Father.     I lost my father less than a year ago and it hurts however time will heal as nature does its business.

John
Steve G.
1000 Class

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2022, 01:52:16 PM »

Geeeeez!!
   Serious condolences to you Shawn. I lost my Dad, little brother, and Mum within 2 yrs, as well as 3 uncles and 2 aunts in the same time frame. Life throws heavy sheeeet at you sometimes. I know you to be a strong person so thankful of that. Keeping busy and not dwelling on the heavy stuff is what got me through the ‘stuff’. You and your lovely wife will do
Just fine.

Garage Residents:
'74 Honda CT70
'74 Norton 850 Interstate
'81 Laverda Jota Mk11 180
'89 Honda RC30
'91 BMW R100GS
'08 Honda XR650L
'08 BMW R1200GS

Previous Garage Residents
 1966 Keystone Tas 50
 1981 Can-Am 250 MX6
 1966 BSA 250 Starfire
 1976 Honda 400-4 Supersport
 1982 Can-Am 500 Sonic
 1984 Kawasaki KZ 750 L4
 1979 Honda CBX
 1988 Ducati 750 Paso 750 Euro
 1972 Suzuki 750 GT ‘Kettle’
 1972 Kawasaki 750 H2
 1993 BMW R100GSPD
 1984 Honda CR500
 1979 Honda CBX sandcast
 1975 Honda 400-4 SS
 2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300
1972 Norton Combat Roadster 810
 1972 BMW R75/2 SWB
 1980 Honda CBX
 1970 Honda Z50
hardrockminer
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2022, 03:20:13 PM »

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing Shawn.  Sounds like your move was the Trip from Hell!

Past rides include a 1973 Suzuki GT380 & a 1975 Kawasaki Z1B

I currently ride a 1975 Kawasaki Z1B - Classic Plated
I also ride a 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD - Classic Plated, and a 2006 Honda Goldwing with a Daytona 2+2 sidecar

My Sweetums rides a 2019 Suzuki DR650
Twisted_Twin
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2022, 07:35:45 AM »

Thanks for the kind words guys.

My dad and I didn't have the best relationship, I moved out at 17 for reasons.

Our last visit was on good terms so at least there's that.

Good news is, our house sold in less than a day for well over asking. Just waiting to finish the paperwork now.

rz5mark
1000 Class

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2022, 07:43:31 AM »

Really sorry for your loss Shawn, that's rough.

I think I speak for the group regarding "roadside assistance' etc. Members are spread through the interior, Cariboo and Koots and to lend a hand would be a given. We have 22 fenced acres that would work for overnighting livestock or storage for a wounded vehicle. Cherry Creek.
MotoLobo

'ad astra per alas porci'

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 07:11:29 AM »

Sorry for your troubles Shawn. No matter the relationship, it's a thing to deal with when a parent passes.

Despite the unwelcome adventure of that last crossing, at least the big move is finally behind you (5 trips?!). And the old house in Langley is sold, good news. You guys are still young and resilient, so onward and upward. Keep us all abreast on prairie life (pics?) and say hi to Jen. She mentioned the locals are already making you guys feel welcome. I'm sure you'll both be an asset to your new community.

All the best, Rob

current rides:
75 Moto Guzzi 850-T (the Burgundy Bomber)
75 Moto Guzzi 850-T (the Green Gander)
75 Moto Guzzi 850-T (in bits)
76 Moto Guzzi Convert (in even more bits)
previous rides:
98 Triumph Thunderbird Sport 91 Yamaha FJ1200, 82 Suzuki GS400E, 75 Honda 500T, 79 Honda CB750F, 1990 Honda Hawk NT650, 92 Suzuki Katana 400, 79 Suzuki GS400
Twisted_Twin
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2022, 09:17:26 AM »

Been a while since an update, been crazy busy.

Finally found a copy of my father's will. It's just a written out, witnessed will but the funeral director says it's more than good enough.

Still haven't got a death certificate or dad back yet because apparently the coroner needs to investigate since he died so soon after surgery. Oh well, I just hope it's not Quincy, that guy was always back, digging up the guy he buried last week.

Been busy around the farm too. Bought an IBC tote for the back of the truck so I can haul water. There's an old galvanized 300 gallon water tank behind the barn that doesn't appear to have holes in it. I'm going to drag it out and set it up by the garden so I can use it for watering.

I spent yesterday fixing paddock fencing which I'm glad I was doing because out big idiot was goofing around in the temporary paddock and managed to get his feet caught in the fence panel and drag it about 20 feet while he panicked. This opened the panels so that he and the other two decided to go on a tour of the property.

I called the wife unit and we managed to get them caught and put back in the barn. I'm going to be finishing the paddock fence repairs today with any luck. Glad I bought a post auger on Friday.

While I was working and they were in the barn, I heard another commotion. The mini was goofing around in her pen and managed to get all four feet and her head caught under the bottom fence rail. I shoved her legs back under and moved the panel over a bit so she could get up. She seemed no worse for wear.

Later that evening she was looking dopey and not feeling well. Aww crap, what now? She was eating and chewing but not swallowing. We got her out and walked her around, seemed ok. I listened to her gut , shes making whooshing noises so the plumbing is working. We figured she might have gotten some dry grass caught in her throat because she had tipped her water bucket out some time earlier, before the pandemonium and the running on a full stomach may not have helped.

We got the big syringe out and gave her a big slug of water down her throat, she swallowed most of it so we knew that end was working. Put her back in her pen and took her food away for a little bit.

Came back an hour later and she had pooped. Ok, good, that's working. Go away and check again in an hour. More poop, yay, everything is working.

Went to bed and checked again this morning. She's back to her old self agian and everything is working as it should. Looks like she just ate way too much (minis can be little pigs) and wasn't feeling well.

Today I have to call the power company to locate an underground line that I think runs under where the vegetable patch is going. Hope they buried it well.

I'm off to build more fence today.

This showed up in my facebook today and it's 100% correct:

Things I've Learnt About Horses as a non horse boyfriend.

Livery yards are not full of ultra fit young ladies in white jodphurs & show jackets despite what adverts/film/TV would have you beleive.

I can now tell the difference between a cheap pitchfork & a decent one.

2 tonnes is the daily amount a horse S#*ts.

A bucket that costs 99p at B&Q will cost £9.99 at a horsey shop.

6 months ago if a horse bared it's teeth, flattened its ears & went for me. I filled my pants with S#*t. Now it just gets a slap & shouted at.

If a horse stands on your foot no amount of pushing will shift it.

The horse is perfectly designed by nature to covert £ sterling into S#*t. Literally.

If a horse can do something stupid it will do it.

Horses like to knock over wheel barrows piled high with S#*t.

January at 5am is an awful time of day to be at a stable so I let Her do this.

A saddle. An item crafted out of the finest leather & costing upwards of £1k that never fits your horse.

You can ACTUALLY wear out a pair of Wellington boots in 6 months.

A decent pair Wellington boots that last 6 months cost around £100.

The vet. A nice man that turns up regularly & empties your bank account.

Grooming. It takes hours & is the green light for your horse to then go and roll in mud, S#*t & probably fox poo.

Horse dentist. A barbaric man with steel toe cap boots, a bucket of big rasp files who turns up & empties your bank account.

Farrier. A really nice bloke who turns up & empties your bank account every 6 weeks in exchange for putting bits of metal on your horses feet which fall off with 10 minutes of him leaving.

Horse Walker. A giant electrified hamster wheel for horses.

Crop. A whip thing covered in mud & hair & not at like the ones in Anne Summers.

Wheelbarrows. I can now tell the difference between a good one & a bad one. A good one has a low centre of gravity. A bad one falls over as soon as a horse so much as farts near it.

Water bucket. A container holding fresh water into which a horse must S#*t at the first opportunity.

Horse Teeth. Giant chisel like things that the bastards like to grab you with the instant you're not looking.

Hunting. A big excuse for lots of horsey people to race around the countryside, looking posh with loads of dogs & never ever seeing a fox. Mainly because I shot it 2 weeks ago. And a nice excuse for yobs in balaclavas to have an outing and desperate not admit to it being a class war, despite the people with the horses having more of an empty bank account than they do.

Being run over by a horse feels exactly the same as being run over by a car. I've done both & can confirm this to be true.

6 months ago, watching my beautiful girlfriend, riding a demented, bronc'ing, rearing fiery horse filled me with dread. Now I just accept it's what happens.

4 hours is the time it takes to use a foot pump to inflate a 7.5 tonne horse lorry tire to 85lb PSI with a foot pump.

Stock fencing. An object that any horse treats as a challenge. It's to be jumped, kicked, leant against until it snaps at any opportunity.

Electric fencing. Decorative tinsel for ponies!

Horse worms. ( The man formerly known as JC )!!!! They're HUGE! A ball of grass snakes just fell out of your horses bum. Apparently this is because the previous owner used a 'herbal remedy' & not a proper medication.

Don't wrap the lead rope around your hand. Because a dangerous empty bag of Quavers, which are well known for attacking horses, will blow past in the wind causing the horse to bolt in panic & will pull your fingers out of their sockets. This hurts enough to make you vomit.
Horse rugs. Why do we always need another one? What does this one do that the other 76 don't do?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: