Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2017, 10:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
BRITISH COLUMBIA CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE CLUB
94496 Posts in 6827 Topics by 460 Members
Latest Member: tallen8
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+ 
|-+  BC Club forum boards
| |-+  General Chat and Ideas
| | |-+  Interesting collector plate goings-on...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting collector plate goings-on...  (Read 420 times)
trevor
1000 Class

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 12:20:33 AM »

Although I have always been treated fairly and reasonably by ICBC, they can be arbitrary in their decisions. If they decide you have not followed the rules, you're hooped. You're guilty until you prove your own innocence.

If you've caused damage or injury, to yourself or others, and ICBC decides your insurance is void because you didn't follow the rules, you're hooped.

If you can't afford the insurance, maybe you just can't afford the toys. And let's face it, they are just toys.

And as to the requirement of having another vehicle with full insurance, that is to ensure that you are not violating the spirit of the Collector program.

You can argue the unfairness or unreasonableness all you like. You can choose to interpret the rules to suit youself. But do so at your own risk. And also you risk others. If you loose your home because of liability or legal battles, who do you harm? Not just yourself. If you cause injury to someone else and cannot afford to care for them, who do you harm? Not just yourself.

While I agree with much of your post I do not agree with the statement of why icbc wants you to have another vehicle with regular plates "to insure you are not violating the spirit of the collector program"...what if you're retired? In my opinion it's more of a "perk" for having regular plates already.
Btw...once I have submitted pics of my bikes I don't change a thing on them after it's been approved. If I get in an accident they will see the exact same bike as the pictures I submitted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 08:40:11 AM by trevor » Logged

Current rides...
2012 BMW K1300R SE          1990 DR 650S
1980 Suzuki GS750E
1983 Suzuki 1100E (crashed)
Past Rides
1988 Suzuki GSXR 750 Slingshot
1984 GS1150EF
1983 Suzuki 750E
1982 Katana 550
I like Suzukis!!
Twisted_Twin
1000 Class

Caution: Irritant

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2017, 12:28:22 AM »

In your original post you said the engine was heavily worked on. Without knowing the specifics, I would say that would void his insurance. Wonder why he didn't get a modified plate for it, if the car was from the 50's.

754 was on the right track.

I don't know why the guy wouldn't have a Modified Collector plate which is available for cars. Unless he swapped the engine after getting a Collector plate and neglected to update his coverage.

Riding a motorcycle is a lot like sex. Everyone thinks they're good at it until they get tips from a professional.
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2017, 12:44:45 AM »

Part of the problem I think is those type of vehicles are expensive to run..
 More like a couple laps thru town, or drive to the show and shine.....really hard on gas and parts..
 So it may be easy to fall into the ..lets get a collector plate, I only want to drive it 3 times a month.
 Then one day stuff goes sideways..
 Not only that on a sleeper car..it often looks very stock on the outside.
 Pretty sure a few times folks slipped in pics of a stock engine from another car on their C plate application.

Feel free to discuss anything I post on here, its an open forum, and I welcome comments and discussion.. I am not the kid who parades his Bat & Ball at the ballpark, but wont let anyone else play with it..
..VaaV....
hardrockminer
1000 Class

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2017, 06:04:38 AM »

ICBC has provided some guidance (see below) for those considering a collector plate.  They can't pre-determine specific circumstances though, and their guidance is only general in nature.  When in doubt...consult your insurance agent and get an interpretation in writing.  Example...aftermarket seats are not allowed.  I have an aftermarket seat on my Z1B, but it's a replica of the original.  I didn't realize it might be considered unacceptable, so I'll be heading down to ICBC to see if it meets their criteria, although I'm pretty sure I know the answer.  One thing caught my eye....you can have a trailer hitch!  I don't know any bike manufacturer back in the day that provided one as standard or as an option.

Motorcycles
Yes you can...
• add era/period correct:
highway pegs, windshield, saddle bags, rear racks, trailer hitch,
extra lighting and reflectors
• install aftermarket exhaust that meets factory specifications
and appearance
No you can’t...
• install S & S performance carburetor on your Harley Davidson
• have custom paint work or custom stripes—and the motorcycle
must have all original decals/logos
• install aftermarket seat(s)
• have any damage—rust, dents, scrapes, faded paint, tears on seat

Edited to add...for autos, here is the specific statement you must tick off for your engine.  It seems clear that for a collector plate you must have the original engine or a replacement that was available that year.

Engine compartment — My engine is stock for the model and year of the vehicle. There are no performance enhancements. It is clean, and all permitted engine “dress-up” is era correct.

Engine Compartment
Yes you can...
• add era correct engine dress up kit and valve covers
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:09:53 AM by hardrockminer » Logged

Past rides include a 1973 Suzuki GT380 & a 1975 Kawasaki Z1B

I currently ride a 1975 Kawasaki Z1B - Classic Plated
I also ride a 1980 Kawasaki KZ 1000 LTD - Classic Plated
I'm currently restoring a Z1B

My Sweetums rides a 1981 Kawasaki KZ550 LTD
azr

She may be old but she'll do :)

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 08:47:51 AM »

Talking about collector plates here, not new bikes.

AZR was saying that if he doesn't put in a claim, there is no problem because he doesn't buy collision anyway.

Neither do I but if that accident involves another person, your liability insurance covers the damage to them and their property.

Clearly, ICBC is prepared to deny your insurance claim if you don't play by the rules.

If you invalidate your liability coverage, you just might lose your house and more.

That's a good point that I never really thought about before.
MJ
1000 Class

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 11:45:46 AM »

With no disrespect to all the actual collectors out there, for most, it's just a way of scamming cheap insurance and getting more money for your 25 year old ride if you choose to sell. As they say, you spin the wheel you takes your chances.

Having said that, I doubt seriously they would tear a motor down to see any internal mods...
trevor
1000 Class

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 12:01:34 PM »

With no disrespect to all the actual collectors out there, for most, it's just a way of scamming cheap insurance and getting more money for your 25 year old ride if you choose to sell. As they say, you spin the wheel you takes your chances.

Having said that, I doubt seriously they would tear a motor down to see any internal mods...

"Scamming cheap insurance?" Lol...come on now MJ even you don't believe that. All I know is that I wouldn't have a garage full of motorcycles that I pay insurance on all year...buy parts from local businesses to keep them maintained and running well...buy more gear for myself because I ride more because of the collector program.
Not only is the collector program for us enthusiasts buts it's good for the economy.

Current rides...
1980 Suzuki GS750E
Past Rides
1984 GS1150EF
1983 Suzuki 750E
1982 Katana 550
I like Suzukis!!
hardrockminer
1000 Class

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 12:09:32 PM »

I think MJ has a point.  I note that he said "for most", not "for all".  And I suspect he wasn't thinking specifically about anybody here. 

trevor
1000 Class

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »

I think MJ has a point.  I note that he said "for most", not "for all".  And I suspect he wasn't thinking specifically about anybody here. 
Yep...but I think my point better represents "most" people that have collector plates.

Current rides...
1980 Suzuki GS750E
Past Rides
1984 GS1150EF
1983 Suzuki 750E
1982 Katana 550
I like Suzukis!!
hardrockminer
1000 Class

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 03:48:08 PM »

Yep...but I think my point better represents "most" people that have collector plates.

Most people here perhaps...but I've seen many ads with "collector platable" inserted into the description.  Hell, anyone buying a bike that old most likely knows it's collector platable.

MJ
1000 Class

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »

Actually Trevor I do maintain most, not all people aren't collectors at all, and the ones that are, still only have the same number of ass cheeks. You could still have a garage full of bikes, you can only ride one at a time. I thought you worked with the drug addicted and would learn from them that if you really enjoy your sin you should be willing to pay for it.
We need to ditch the collector scam and have one policy that covers all your bikes, like is done elsewhere, Rhode Island for example.
BCCMC Star (5K)

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 01:40:21 PM »

Well I am thinking part of the ICBC crew will be busy getting up to speed with their new Mitchell estimating system.
Not that it affects the collector program in any way..

MJ , you mean multiple vehicle coverage, sounds like there is a need for it..

Feel free to discuss anything I post on here, its an open forum, and I welcome comments and discussion.. I am not the kid who parades his Bat & Ball at the ballpark, but wont let anyone else play with it..
..VaaV....
MJ
1000 Class

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 02:45:16 PM »

I wrote ICBC about that, they gave me a big reply which concluded it was too complicated to offer. Right, they have a cash cow so why bother is more like it. Simply put you would pay full pop for the most expensive bike and add your others to that policy. Like I said you can only ride one at a time.
trevor
1000 Class

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

I wrote ICBC about that, they gave me a big reply which concluded it was too complicated to offer. Right, they have a cash cow so why bother is more like it. Simply put you would pay full pop for the most expensive bike and add your others to that policy. Like I said you can only ride one at a time.

I have my cousin come here to ride with me every year....I need more than one plate.

Current rides...
1980 Suzuki GS750E
Past Rides
1984 GS1150EF
1983 Suzuki 750E
1982 Katana 550
I like Suzukis!!
Twisted_Twin
1000 Class

Caution: Irritant

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 04:53:13 PM »

I have my cousin come here to ride with me every year....I need more than one plate.

If you had a multi-plate, I'd bet they would still sell you a day permit to insure one of the other bikes at the same time.

That being said, it IS a government entity and if they can find a way to make things more difficult, I'm sure they will.

Riding a motorcycle is a lot like sex. Everyone thinks they're good at it until they get tips from a professional.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: